Home > Essential Oils > Essential oils in Aromatherapy > Turmeric
Turmeric - Aromatheraphy Essentail Oil
( Curcuma Longa )
Turmeric is widely cherished spice in Indian kitchens. Popularly known as "Haldi" in Hindi, turmeric is included in meals to boost up the overall immune system of the body. Turmeric is also used in cosmetics for oily skin and to cleanse and detoxify. It is a favorite with the food flavoring industry, in part because of its bright yellow color. It has grounding properties helping you to feel present and in charge. Excellent for confusion and anxiety. There is some indication that use of turmeric helps stabilize blood sugar.
Origin of Turmeric
Turmeric oil is majorly extracted in India and Costa Rica, although its properties are gaining wide influence in other countries too.
Properties of Turmeric oil
Turmeric acts as a heating and moisturizing agent that also acts as Aphrodisiac, analgesic, anti-arthritic, anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, anti-tumoral, bactericidal, diuretic, hypotensive, insecticidal, laxative, rubefacient and digestive stimulant.
Most common Uses
· Relives anxiety and stress.
· Helps in anorexia, flatulence, painful & sluggish digestion, liver congestion, stimulates gall bladder, intestinal parasites; may aid peptic ulcers.
· Helpful in relieving arthritis, muscle aches & pains as well as rheumatism pains.
· Increases sexual desire.
· May be antitumoral on uterine cancers.
· Relieves physical and mental depression.
· Especially severely depressed; aids with realizing one`s potentials, increasing desire for changes; anguish, fear.
· Acts as insect repellant, wounds and dermatosis.
· Used in skin treatments in massage oils or creams.
Mixes well with: in perfumery it has been known to blend with elecampane, ginger, labdanum and musk.
Warning: do not use in cases of acute jaundice, hepatitis, high Pitta or pregnancy.