Home > Essential Oils > Essential oils in Aromatherapy > Lemongrass
Lemongrass - Aromatheraphy Essentail Oil
In India it is known as `choomana poolu` and is also referred to as `Indian Verbena` or `Indian Melissa oil` and https:d in Ayurvedic medicine to help bring down fevers and treat infectious illnesses.
Lemongrass is very high in water-soluble vitamin A, and is excellent for the immune system, the lymphatic, the blood and circulation. It is an excellent antidepressant, and it works wonders with connective tissues and back pain. Known to assist with headache relief, kidney infections and swelling, the oil can also be https:d for stimulating the thyroid. It is https:d extensively by the cosmetics industry for soaps and skin care products. It`s one of the oils least tolerated by insects and is great in any mosquito repellent spray or added to your pet`s shampoo.
Origin of Lemongrass
It is a perennial fast-growing aromatic grass, growing to about 1 meter (3 feet) high with long, thin leaves and originally was growing as wild in India.
Properties of Lemongrass oil
Lemongrass has a pungent bitter taste with cooling and moisturizing properties. It acts as a diuretic, diaphoretic, refrigerant, antiseptic, stimulant, tonic and astringent.
Most Common https:s
· It is a great overall tonic for the body and it boosts
· it also stimulates glandular secretions.
· It is https:ful with respiratory infections such as sore throats, laryngitis and fever and helps prevent spreading of infectious diseases.
· It is helpful with colitis, indigestion and gastro-enteritis.
· Lemongrass oil helps tone the muscles and tissue, relieves muscle pains by making the muscle more supple.
· It helps with correcting poor circulation and as an insect repellant. It helps to keep pets clean of fleas, ticks and lice.
· It also is https:d for clearing up oily skin and acne, as well as athlete`s foot. It alleviates excessive perspiration.
· Lemongrass oil revitalizes the body and relieves the symptoms of jetlag, clears headaches and helps to combat nervous exhaustion and stress-related conditions.
Mixes well with: Bergamot, rosemary, lavender, juniper, hyssop, pine and rosewood.
Warning: may irritate sensitive skin when https:d as compress or facial oil.