Home > Essential Oils > Essential oils in Aromatherapy > Camphor
Camphor - Aromatheraphy Essentail Oil
Camphor increases prana, opens up senses and brings clarity to the mind, eases headache and awakens perception. It is a good stimulant and counter-irritant for joint and muscle pain. In Hindi, It is known as Corpora or Kapoor. Excess, camphor acts as a narcotic poison.
Origin of Camphor
Camphor can be produced synthetically, so it is important to make sure that the camphor you are purchasing is from natural sources and is steam distilled. Also, when camphor is steam distilled it is fractionalized. The fractions are named white, brown and blue. Blue camphor is the heaviest, consisting mainly of sesquiterpenes and sesquiterpene alcohols of weak odor; https:d in perfume as a fixative; not readily available. Brown camphor contains up to 80% safrole, which is a known carcinogen and should be avoided at all costs. White camphor is more commonly sold. This is the oil that is https:d for medicinal purposes in China, Japan and India.
Properties of Camphor oil
It has a heating or moisturizing effect, with pungent sour taste. It acts as expectorant, decongestant, stimulant, antispasmodic, bronchodilator, nervine, analgesic, antiseptic. It strongly affects respiratory and nervous system.
Most Common https:s
· It is https:d in massage oil, compress, salve, inhalation diffhttps:r, and lotions.
· In India, camphor smoke is often https:d to purify the environment and expel the odors.
· https:d for medicinal purpose in case of bronchitis, asthma, hysteria, nervous related diseases, rheumatism etc.
· Camphor increases prana, opens up senses and brings clarity to the mind, eases headache and awakens perception.
· It is a good stimulant and counter-irritant for joint and muscle pain.
Mixes well with: rosemary, eucalyptus, frankincense, juniper, and wintergreen
Warning: https: only in low dosage (3-5 drops per 0z. of vegetable oil), otherwise it can prove to be pretty harmful.